Google Plus has launched some new features, some what identical to Twitter where on the login screen they promote popular pages and people. My first guess is that this is triggered by the amount of people following the page. This feature was very popular on Twitter back in the day so it will be interesting to see how it develops on Google+.
Today I noticed that Google + has rolled out a new layout for the platform, we now see a left bar where you can select various abilities on the site. Also you can now see a chat bar on the right hand side of the website. It will be interesting to see how the users react to these changes.
So today I recieved an email from Google telling me that they would be rolling out +1 buttons on all adsense display units via the complete network. (message below)
The first thing I thought when I read this is what is the ctr impact going to be for publishers??
Google states that this change is to increase the quality of advertising shown to users, yet most of the advertising targeting for the display ads shown on adsense units is already pretty spot on I would say to 98% range.
But never the less it is a very interesting move and I am sure it may even connect up to Google+1 quality on the website as a whole not just the units in which are showing.
It really shows you that Google is pulling out all the stops to promote Google+1 and Google+ products and it is evident they do not want these products to fail and will throw all marketing dollars at them even if it means changing the ad units that it publishers display.
So over the last 24 hours I have been testing Google+ Social Network quite heavily, I decided to show some images of some cool functions Google+ has I will show a few snap shots of a few of these features:
First image is the main page, this is where you post status updates to various circles:
Second image is the main profile page for your Google+ profile:
Third image is the section where you can group various contacts to circles:
Forth image is to show the “sparks” section this is similar to Google news yet it seems to pick up high quality sources only for specific keywords.
Fifth image is probably one of the most interesting features I have seen, this is called “Google Hangouts” what you can do is hook up your web cam and add friends to your circles, you can chat via cam or you can share live video:
I have also been testing the Google+ Android App on my phone, and lets say it is very slick, one of the best profile apps I have used.
It is easy to see that this will leverage off youtube, it will use Google +1 to connect up to your contacts, it will leverage Gmail and many other networks to all link upto this new project.
It is still funny to go around on the internet and see Australian SEO’s saying at +1 buttons are a fad and for clients not to use them, I disagree 100% I feel that +1 is big, and if you do not embrace it you will miss the boat.
It is not like Google Wave, that was a bit of a nightmare and it seemed rushed, this new project seems to have alot more thought involved.
So I think any one who has been working in SEO over the last few years has been hearing and reading a lot of chit chat about the influence of social on search! I know because I have been one of the guys writing a lot of social/seo related content and my job is a Senior SEO and Social Media Specialist.
But I think before every one gets ahead of themselves here we need to remember what is the general public doing and seeing in these search results? I find it kind of funny when SEO moz or the likes do some analysis on their internal SERP from the network they connect with. I mean the results are going to be highly skewed to your own friends content correct (because these are the guys who are highly social savvy) I do not think it is the best guide to take at all.
You really need to shut off all personalization by viewing content in SERPS’s via Ad Preview from Google or by adding &pws=0 to search results, when conducting these tests.
A lot of guys will also ask what can I do to assist social search? Well here is some basic advice –
* Work out which platforms work best for your target market? I mean you are not going to fill up FARK.com buttons on a insurance brands website now are you? But a tech website you may do it.
* You really need to get across all Q&A websites like Quora and the likes as these sites work well.
* You really need to research what social buttons work and which social buttons do not work niche by niche? I mean do In shares work, do FB shares work, do +1’s work?
* Test cool social tools to aid your Social SEO example LIKEPLUS1 –
You need to research,research,research and then keep testing non stop.
I am running many social SEO tests recently and will share bits and pieces as I gather results.
Well today Google rolled out its new +1 buttons, we have been waiting many months for these to come out.
The funny thing is that I have already seen many webmasters abusing these new buttons with dodgy tactics to get more +1’s.
Below are the rules for +1 buttons –
It is evident that you can not:
– Run a competition to gain more +1’s
– Use dodgy wording to gain more +1’s.
– Use any dodgy coding tactics such as CSS overlays to get extra +1’s.
and the list goes on.
Examples of the types of things I have seen websites already doing are:
– Altering the log in area to include a plus one right under it, obviously users are going to accidentally click it.
I think +1 will see alot of spammers trying any thing to game it, what do you think?
Yesterday Matt Cutts did a interesting 90 minute webinar on Youtube, From this 90 minute webinar transcript I have highlighted 3 key points from the webinar below –
1. Google +1 button will have a impact on search results, the fact he states we are paying a lot of attention to this ranking factor shows that it will be worth wile targeting +1 buttons and utilizing them to the full extent.
2. IP address are confirmed as a ranking factor, It is well known if you have a .com.au domain then you should look at hosting the domain where your user base is, well in Australia. If you host your website in the Netherlands and your website is in Australia it may have a impact on your rankings
3. Using rel=nofollow on internal links has no added benefit! Many SEO’s fill internal pages with no-follows, I have noticed this tactic to direct link juice to certain pages. I have tested it and never saw a huge benefit from it so I decided to to place any rel=nofollow on internal website pages.
What makes these points interesting are the fact Matt Cutt’s confirms these 3 SEO factors, sure enough I already know from testing they work but this just places further emphasis on the factors.
Google +1 New SEO Social Search Signal high influence for PPC and SEO (Important)
Today Google has rolled out a new social search signal called +1, what this means is that any one can press +1 on your website search listing. This new signal will be powerful becuase it will be Googles answer to Facebook Like buttons. Google will also offer the chance for users to add the +1 Google buttons to websites. Similar to the way in which you can add Facebook bottons to websites.
Many in the search world are claiming that this new signal will be a problems becuase spammers will be able to utalize this new change to infuluence their own websites.
A +1 on in google organic search will also act as a plus on in paid search (A email Adwords reps sent out in the USA)
For more information view the video below on Google’s Plus 1 Button –